Friday, April 11, 2008

Far Above The Golden Valley

Cause I'm a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk
From Lawrence on the Kaw!

Go KU!
2008 NCAA Basketball Champions

Of course, I couldn't watch the game on TV here, so I was glued in front of my computer watching the box score on CBS Sportsline. Thankfully, Stewart and Nobie live in a house and not an apartment, or I might have caused some complaints with my yelling. I was sure I was going to have a heart attack about the time the game went into overtime and since I was in the house alone, no one would find me until it was too late. Game over, KU wins. Crisis averted.

I am hoping to get copies of the KU-UNC and KU-Memphis games, fingers crossed. My everlasting gratitude guys.

I was slightly put out that I didn't receive the thank you email from Bill Self like the KU student body did, I think they should have included KU alums. Of course, today I got the email written specifically for KU alums - basically wrapping a thin congratulations on supporting the Jayhawks around a plea for more money :) Do you think I can include some kind of note with one of my student loan payments? This is for the 2008 Men's Basketball team? I might try that.

On the day before the championship game, I did see a ten year old boy with a University of Kansas t-shirt on and got very excited. According to Stewart, if any Japanese kids know of an American University, odds are it will be KU. But of course, I responded. If asked about KU, however, they would not name Brandon Rush, or Danny Manning, or even Wilt Chamberlain. In Japan, KU was the home of Dr. James Naismith. Naismith, was not only the inventor of basketball, but also practically the patron saint of the YMCA. And though Christianity hasn't really gained a stronghold in Japan, the YMCA has. They're everywhere and just about every Japanese boy has played at one. Interesting, no?

Well, this wasn't the post I was planning to write on the absurdities of the English language in Japan. That one's coming, I promise. I just wanted to let y'all know I was still kicking and thank y'all for reading my little blog. There are many so more people reading it than I ever thought would be, thanks to my family's talking it up apparently :) It is a nice feeling to think that a few folks back home are interested in my adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun. It makes me feel still connected.

I have been very busy these last few days applying to different schools and jobs here. It's not quite as easy as I thought it would be to find a job, but Nobie called last night and thinks she has a possibility, so fingers crossed. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Please be patient with me and keep coming back! Rock... Chalk... Jay... Hawk... K.... U.....!

- Jenny

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm working on the KU/UNC game, your father I believe already has the Championship.

Rock Chalk!