Wednesday, December 10, 2008

BOLO - Monkey on the Lam

“Look out for monkey.”

These were the first words spoken to me as I entered the teacher’s room at Shisui E.S. this morning. I kid you not.

After I received such an ominous warning from a group of 2nd & 3rd grade teachers, my coordinator at the school quickly approached to explain. A monkey had been spotted on the school grounds earlier that morning, but had escaped capture and his (her?) location was now unknown. This monkey is believed to have been the same one spotted in nearby cities of Ozu and Kikuyo.

Now, before you start to think that this is a common occurrence and that Kyushu is overrun with wild monkeys, let me assure you that is not true. Many of my co-workers were quick to tell me that this was the first time a monkey has ever been spotted in the town. There are some wild monkeys around Mt. Aso; indeed, that is where this monkey is believed to have originated; but they very rarely leave that uninhabited area.

Needless to say, this monkey is considered to be very dangerous. While about a team of 8 men roam the grounds with various monkey catching equipment, (I have not actually seen the equipment, but I envision some kind of rod with a banana hanging off the end by a piece of string) outside activities are being strictly monitored and recess is restricted to the gymnasium. Classes are being let out about ten minutes early (perhaps to throw the monkey off his schedule) and teachers are organizing groups to walk the children home. Advisory flyers are also being distributed with such helpful hints as:

1) Do not offer the monkey any food. - "Here monkey, monkey. I've got a tasty banana for you!"

2) Do not eat while standing. – I don’t really think this has anything to do with the monkey, rather the teachers are just trying to sneak in a bit of good manners. While they took the time, I wish they had added a bit about chewing with your mouth closed, but they didn’t ask me for my opinion.

3) Do not look the monkey in the eyes. – I’m having a hard time looking anyone in the eyes while they talk so earnestly about monkey safety.

Well, school’s out and the monkey is still on the loose. I kind of hope he (she) can evade capture and liven up someone else’s school day tomorrow.

Album currently playing on my IPOD – The Decemberists’ 2006 album, The Crane Wife.

- Jenny

No comments: