Friday, March 28, 2008

Have Wallet, Willing to Shop

As y’all were enjoying your Easter dinners and snacking on chocolate eggs, I started my first solo journey into Kumamoto City.

Stewart and Nobie had an appointment for Monday morning, so I plucked up my courage and decided to head into Kumamoto on my own. I walked down to the train stop - only about a seven-minute walk - and waited for the train to come. And as I sat on the bench waiting, an older man rode by on a bicycle and was so startled to see a Westerner that he almost lost his balance as he continued to stare at me long past he had rode by. I couldn’t help but laugh at his gaping.

After a twenty minute train ride, I was deposited at Fujisaki-gu Station a few blocks away from downtown Kumamoto. About a block away is the Kamitori which leads to Shimotori– literally “Lower Road” and “Upper Road” – which are covered pedestrian streets full of boutiques, convenience stores, and restaurants. There is even a hundred yen shop – their equiviliant of the Dollar Store.

Between these two covered outdoor shopping centers are two of Kumamoto’s biggest department stores, Tsuruya and Parco. These both are a lot like a small upscale mall in America – full of smaller boutiques full of Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc. However, urged by Stewart to check out the basement of Tsuruya, I discovered the same type of upscale boutiques only these were selling food. Vendors of fresh produce, seafood, and meat were alongside vendors of wine and gourmet products. There were also a good number of upscale fast-food vendors and my personal favourite, chocolatiers with some of the most delicious looking truffles and petit fours I’ve ever seen.

I enjoyed visiting a lot of the boutiques along Kamitori and Shimotori – they reminded me a lot of the boutiques I enjoyed shopping in downtown Pasadena when I lived there. I also got a lot of practice saying, "Chotto mitade kudasai," meaning 'just looking, thank you.' However, I did feel odd walking down these shopping centers and into the boutiques in my jeans, t-shirt, and tennis shoes.

Warning! Tangent ahead. I’ve been here about a week now and I have yet to gain a solid understanding of Japanese fashion. All I can tell is that I am not part of it. I’ve yet to see one girl or woman other than myself wearing tennis shoes. Shoes are almost exclusively high heeled, and most of the time knee-high, heeled boots. Even girls on bicycles – and they are everywhere – are wearing heels. T-shirts also seem to be verboten for women unless it is covered with half a dozen blouses, scarves, and blazers. Layering is a big thing here. The majority of women wear skirts - many with jeans, shorts, or dark tights underneath. And if they aren’t wearing one of these items, money says they will definitely have knee high tights on. Colors tend to stay in the blacks, greys, or pale pastels. Instead of playing with color, they play with pattern – leading to a chaotic mix of plaids, checks, and stripes. Even without my blue eyes and western features, I stick out like a sore thumb with my solid, bright colored t-shirts and dresses with flats and tennis shoes.

To set my parents' minds at ease, I will say that I only purchased a pair of sunglasses at the 300 yen store - approximately $3. To the surprise of no one who knows me and sunglasses, the cheap pair I purchased at Target only a day before my flight over here was lost en route and I needed a new pair.

I’ve got to go, but coming ahead, my thoughts on Japanese food and restaurants. Definitely different from America. I think my friends at Granite City will find it very interesting. Also, as soon as I figure out how, I will be posting lots of pictures. Cherry blossom season is blooming in Kumamoto.

- Jenny

No comments: